Copyright © 2007-2015 Foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, All Rights Reserved

Thursday, November 15, 2012

Cumberland Gap

Since we last visited Goodman and I took a li'l road trip north of our foothills to a quaint area where Tennessee, Virginia, and Kentucky meet - Cumberland Gap. The small town is in Tenn. It's really tiny, but as I said very quaint.
Some buildings were closed so I suggest visiting in spring or summer if you want to have a home-cooked meal while there,
This photo and the one below are courtesy of my photographer/granddaughter who visited the Gap in June. (The rest are mine.)
If you love vintage shopping don't miss Whistle Stop Antiques. The lady who runs it arranges all household items by color! It's the prettiest shop of it's kind I've ever seen.
After seeing all we wanted to in town we headed through the mountain via this tunnel to ...
the park. There's a gift shop at the park and a museum, also.
This is what I really wanted to see, the view into the valley below where the likes of Daniel Boone and others had been before us. Cumberland Gap was considered the gateway to the west in colonial and Revolutionary times.
Anytime the walk to an overlook shows a scene like this you know it's going to be good.
Lofty mountain grandeurs ...
 
   You can see all three states mentioned above from the Pinnacle.
 
It's a lovely trip even on a brisk autumn day.
Just a few miles into Virginia is historic Martin's Station.
There was a lot more to see so if you have the opportunity I think you'll enjoy the trip.
.

18 comments:

  1. Wow! Such a beautiful place! I think I can travel back to the Civil War times and before just looking at your photos.

    I loved your post, thank you for sharing! Happy autumn~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello from Michigan, I truly enjoyed your Fall trip and all the lovely photos. Where did you see the Bison at??? I think your area is so truly beautiful. Hugs Judy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Judy! The bison are at Martin's Station. It's about five or six miles into Virginia from the Gap.

      Delete
  3. Thank you Alhana! Happy Autumn to you, too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for taking us along on your beautiful trip. My dad was born in Kentucky, but I have never had the opportunity to visit that part of the USA. The mountains look so majestic.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Kay! I hope you have that opportunity sometime. :)

      Delete
  5. Oh, wow~ I love Cumberland Gap! I haven't been there in a few years...
    We always loved driving up Powell Valley toward Harrogate~ we live not far from the LaFollette exit~ but we always turned and went back toward New Tazewell. (There is a little fabric store there that I love!) I think we need to make that trip again soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Paula, I plan to visit Mammaw's fabric store this week if possible. Thank again for flogging about it.

      Delete
  6. Beautiful! I have never been but I would really like to.

    Have a great weekend.

    :)Vicki

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like a nice trip, I'd like to go through and see the town and see Martin's Station, too. That'd be fun in the spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. TG, I'd like to do that trip over in the spring, too.

      Delete
  8. What a beautiful place! I think I just found where I want to spend my next anniversary

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hope you have a fun time there, Jacki.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a nice place to visit...very pictoral :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks like a fun trip ! i will have to put Cumberland Gap on my list
    of interesting day trips !Looks historic too !

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi, Toni,
    I am so glad to see you stopped by. This is the first time to visit your very cute blog!! I am enjoying all the photos of your trip and the bluebird is Gorgeous!! Love those birds :) Will you be posting about your finished purse? If so, I'd love you to link-up that post on a Wednesday 'EOA' afterwards...do share it with us!!
    Blessings this new year ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Thank you Jacqueline! I hope to make the purse at some point and will be happy to share it on your page when it's finished. Thanks for asking!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!