Copyright © 2007-2015 Foothills of the Great Smoky Mountains, All Rights Reserved

Sunday, September 12, 2010

Walkabout the Weeds

Ah yes, we're beginning to bid summer adieu. I will shed no tears for it, though, as Summer 2010 has been one hot summer. Our watermelon patch is nearly done producing. I haven't the heart to weed it now with this overtaking it. Mornin'glories.

No wonder they're called glories....
Butterfly Weed, also called Pleurisy Root. I'm diggin' this up soon to replant where it will be handy if I want to use it.

Seed pods on another butterfly weed that could be mistaken for pope's hats...chuckles.
A tea made from red clover is said to detoxify the blood.
This is not your regular morning glory. It's a Wild Potato Vine. Native Americans & early settlers dug the roots to supplement their food supply. See the red center? That's how to tell it's a tater vine.

Ironweed (spied this one in the neighbor's field) has been used in a lot of different herbal preparations to treat all manner of symptoms.
Did you know red pepper flakes.......... are proven to help lower cholesterol? Just thought I'd throw that in. :)
I've begun sproutin'. Truly! o.O This is a sandwich mix. WE ARE SO GREEN around here. lol
The wonderful chill in the morning air is tellin' me I could use one of these soon so I've begun a knitting project after almost six months without touchin' the needles.
Cool mornin' air - bring it on! See y'all later, the good Lord willing. :)

10 comments:

  1. Love your weeds, especially your morning glories...they are glorious :) (My DIL's favorite flower)

    Your new knitting project looks very interesting....guess I'll have to stay tuned to find out just what you are up to ;)

    happy knitting :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tea,
    I have to agree with you about not missing this summer. The cooler temperatures are so nice and I can actually spend more time outside and even tend to my own garden.

    I wish my weeds were as interesting as yours. I've been trying to get rid of the ragweed that have snuck in, especially since my son has allergies. But they are sneaky, they are not showy at all so they blend in so well with other plants.
    Enjoy your knitting project...suki

    ReplyDelete
  3. So beautiful flowers at the end of the summer! The countryside here is producing too: pommegranates and oranges are growing fat and dates turning darker. They will be at the markets soon and I can't wait to have some at home. :-)
    Will be back to see how does that shawl progress! Have a nice week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful, awesome pictures--who would want to weed when they are gorgeous??

    I have to agree...I'm lookin forward to the fall...the cooler temps have already started....46 in the evening the other night.

    I made your sausage and squash casserole for dinner the other night--"Delish!!!"--my son (who doesn't even like squash) proclaimed it to "be good"--and in Andrew's world--"be good" is "delicious"!! Thanks for sharing your world with me!!

    Oh, what pattern are you using??

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mornin', Y'all - if you click on "one of these soon" you'll see the pattern of the shawl I've begun is Frosted Diamonds.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are gettin' pretty green, Mum. Even down to the new shawl, you're right, it is a good pattern.
    You know you're gonna have to post about your newest acquisition, soon. *wink, wink* Though maybe you ought to complete it *wink, wink* before you blog it;)
    love,
    me.^)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love morning glories ! the rabbits
    allowed me to have one tiny vine from the packet of seeds I planted !

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for stopping by and the excellent idea about the increase in drinking of water!!

    So far, so good this week!! We'll see what the weekend brings since this is usually when these strike me down!!

    Hopefully, I've consumed enough water to ward this off for the coming weekend....I've got a lot to get accomplished.

    Thanks for the excellent suggestion, and you know, doesn't it just make perfect sense??

    Beth

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hey Tea..it's been a while since I have been on here....I just love your blog and it made my day to get a little caught up by reading some of your posts! I'm with you...goodbye summer!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very interesting about the wild potato vine. I would have thought it was a breed of morning glory. Speaking of which, they are putting on a lovely display right now. We also get a lot of pokeweed growing around here, which someone told me has a wide variety of medicinal uses. But it just looks like a weed to me!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments!